The Harvest of the Month Featured Produce is Figs!
In season August, September, October
- High in fiber & potassium
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels
- Non-dairy source of calcium
- Fat, cholesterol, & sodium free
- Figs are believed to be one of the first food crops ever to be cultivated.
- Fossils found near Jericho, Jordan, show figs were farmed before staples wheat, barley and legumes.
- Fig trees grow wonderfully in NC.
- Pick figs with smooth, unbroken skin
- Figs should be soft to the touch
- Store figs in a plastic bag in the coldest part of refrigerator
- Use within 2 days
Source: Lifetime Daily